Hilary's Hands

Hilary's Hands

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Hello

Hello!  I just made this Mei Tai carrier for my daughter.  I used the pattern from this website:  diy-mei-tai-pattern, but since I can't seem to follow any pattern or recipe without tweeking, I made some changes!




Where the pattern calls for adjustable buttoned elastic, I just sewed in elastic to give the body of the mei-tai the feature to "hug" the baby.  I think it will retain the function this way, and still be accommodating to her as she grows but I just didn't want to do all those buttonholes ;-).  The "blanket" portion of the mei-tai is made from thrifted men's shirts.  The straps are of a material that was purchased at Jo-Ann's, it is a woven material that seemed very strong (I couldn't rip it) and yet it is thin and soft enough to make good ties that will hold. The real problem was matching the color!  Greens can be so fussy!  I get nervous when colors don't match exactly, close enough won't do, I would rather use complimentary colors than have a clash going on.  I also had to print out and use the pattern at 90% since I didn't pick a shirt big enough to get the blanket at 100%. That worked just fine, I don't think it will mean that she will outgrow the mei-tai either.  But if she does, I'll just make another!!!  And next time I will take pictures of the process.
   I usually pick the most complicated project to start and this pattern is probably the most difficult and involved of all the mei-tai patterns out there for free.  However, don't let that stop you because I also think this is a great pattern!!!  Her instructions are clear and it went fairly quickly too.
  When we went out shopping my daughter got several comments from other moms.  I didn't sew the hood on it, partly because I didn't have enough time and partly because I was unsure about whether my daughter would use it.  I was also concerned that since she will be wearing the baby so she can get some housework done that the hood would just get in the way.  My fix is to make a hood that can be snapped on when needed.  I have it all cut and ready to sew, I just haven't yet.

1 comment:

  1. I love this new blog! I can't wait to see what you'll put up there next. Will you post the Anna costume??

    ReplyDelete